According to Wikipedia, “Buzzwords” often originate in jargon and are words or phrases used to impress, or that are fashionable. At any given time, different environments often have & use different buzzwords. Although buzzwords seem to come and go, it’s important to understand what they mean in order to understand and be successful in the environment in which they apply.
Although still a relatively new environment, the world of social media has it’s own set of buzzwords. Understanding them on a general level is imperative to your business success in the social media world.
Here are few current social media buzzwords defined:
- Engagement: Engagement is how users interact with your social media content. This can include likes, shares, retweets, +1s or any other action that a user can perform
- Hashtag: Hashtags are used as a way to annotate a message in Twitter or Facebook. It is a word/phrase preceeded by a “#” and allows your message to be identified with a specific topic.
- Klout: Klout is a web service that measures of social influence. A Klout score (0-100) is meant to show how much social influence you have through various social media accounts (Facebook YouTube, Twitter, etc).
- Like: A Like is an action on Facebook that can be used to show approval of a message.
- Meme: A Meme is typically an image with text, but can also be a video or link. Memes are used to describe an idea, joke or concept to be shared online.
- Retweet: A Retweet is when someone shares your message (or Tweet) on Twitter with their followers.
- Social Influencer: A Social Influencer is a person or brand that has a large following on social media.
- Social Lead Generation: Social Lead Generation is the act of generating sales prospects using social media.
- Social Media Monitoring: Social Media Monitoring is the process of monitoring and responding to your mentions across social media.
- Viral Content (Going Viral): Viral Content is usually an interesting and easily sharable photo, image, video, infographic, meme or other piece of content that has been shared across various channels quickly and frequently.